Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Lab 4: Proposed Airport Expansion


In this lab we learned to use the program ArcMap. From a first glance, it seems to be very complicated and intimidating at times. I have worked with graphics software, such as Corel Designer, and there are some features that are included in both programs and it makes it easier to understand. Overall, it is a great program that allows for extensive map-making, and I feel like I have only scratched the surface.

All students were given a tutorial in PDF form that showed what to do step by step. Having the tutorial there made it much more simplified and creating the maps became easier. I would not have known how to do this lab without it. Since it is readily available online, I can refer to it any time I am having trouble with ArcMap.

One problem that I encountered, however, was reopening the file after working on it. I had worked on the file for a few hours in lab and saved it to my flash drive. A few days later I reopened the file in the lab and saved it in the workspace to continue with my assignment, but I had to redirect the sources of all the files in order for it to work. It was extremely tedious, and I must have done something wrong. Next time I will try working on it directly from my flash drive and see if it works better that way.

GIS through ArcMap has so many potentials in expanding knowledge though informational mapping around the world. In this lab we were able to show noise radius, street names, streets, runways and several other types of information on a single map, which would definitely help someone out who would like to learn about the area. A pitfall could be that anyone can make a map, and if you make an error somewhere, not many people would be able to correct it or even notice it for that matter. That’s why I believe all maps should be cross-referenced before becoming published or “official”.

No comments:

Post a Comment